Crash, Safety & Impact
Altair provides a premier solutions for all crash and safety related simulations. All aspects from modeling and simulation to remote simulation for large result files are covered.
Crash and safety conditions drive the design in most of the transportation industries. This is particularly true in the automotive industry.
RADIOSS Case Study with PSA Peugeot Citroën and Bull
PSA Peugeot Citroën collaborated with Altair, Bull, PRACE and others to perform a study of automotive crash rupture simulations, investigating ways to improve material failure criteria and better predict cracks.
Read the Case Study
Anadolu Isuzu Increases Truck Safety with HyperWorks Products
Anadolu Isuzu is using Altair Products in the design validation process of their trucks and buses.
HyperWorks is the leading CAE integration platform for crash and safety design. It covers all the different steps from meshing to optimization including:
- Vehicle modeling and assembly using HyperMesh
- Analysis setup - including model checking, dummy positioning, airbag folding using HyperCrash
- Crash analysis using RADIOSS
- Visualization - results analysis and report automation using HyperView
- Study and optimization using HyperStudy and OptiStruct
“Altair HyperWorks, in particular HyperMesh, OptiStruct, RADIOSS, and HyperView, is the standard tool we use in our daily work to support customers like Dorel Juvenile to develop better, more innovative products in a shortened time to market.”
–Harold van Aken
CEO and Senior Simulation Engineer of Code Product Solutions
View Case Study
High-performance crash analysis on a 10 million elements model with RADIOSS
Car pile-up benchmark with RADIOSS
Photorealistic rendering of a crash result in solidThinking Evolve
Video overlay in HyperView
Dedicated crash pre-processing with HyperCrash
Occupant safety simulation
HyperMesh presents users with an advanced suite of easy-to-use tools to build and edit CAE models.
- CAD treatment for crash: detections of specific geometric features such as beads, crush initiators, fillets and flanges
- Removes unwanted holes or adds washers around bolted locations
- Midsurface creation and treatment
- Solid meshing (hexa once mappable solids)
Experience why transportation engineers worldwide recognize HyperWorks as the premier suite of analysis tools for structural design under crash and safety conditions.
HyperCrash is a highly tuned modeling environment for crash analysis and safety evaluation in the HyperWorks simulation framework.
- Highly tailored crash and safety modeling environment
- Fast, high-quality model creation and set-up
- Database driven part replacement
- Modern, intuitive and crash oriented GUI
- System Swap
- Mesh tools for mesh correction
- Mass Balance
- Connections (creation, modification and check, import, and more)
- Multi-solver – Translation capabilities
- Dummy Positioner
- Support of FTSS dummies
- Seatbelt Generator
- Airbag Folder
- Seat Deformer
- Library Data Base
RADIOSS is the leading solution to simulate highly complex problems such as contact, impact, automotive safety-related performance, occupant behavior, manufacturing processes, non-linear materials, and fluid-structure interaction scenarios. Altair RADIOSS is a 5-star worthy crash code.
RADIOSS 14.0 release
- An improved formulation for the penalty tied interface (/INTER/TYPE2 – Spotflag=26) extends the application usage and improves the result quality
- Static friction, dynamic friction and damping coefficient input allows a better control of relative motion between rigid parts in contact (/INTER/TYPE6)
- New options in the new general contacts (/INTER/TYP24) allows to solve more complex problems for the electronic device drop test
- Cluster of elements allows to easier compute the force and moment in the multi-elements connection model and allows to define global failure parameters
- Solid elements are able to switch to Smooth Particles Hydrodynamics (SPH) after large deformation or damage
- Simulation of the active muscle behavior is possible with a new spring element (/PROP/TYPE46)
Material Laws & Rupture Criteria, EOS
- Composites can be defined in terms of stack and plies which allows for easier communication between the solvers RADIOSS and OptiStruct
- Direct coupling with MDS is now available as beta version
- An UHSS material model allows to compute mechanical, metallurgical and thermal change during hot stamping process (/MAT/LAW80)
- Local plasticity and damage can be better modeled with an new anisotropic Hill criterion and non-associated plastic yield with strain hardening combined with Swift and Voce formulations (/MAT/LAW84) and can be linked to the Extended Mohr-Coulomb failure criterion from MIT (/FAIL/EMC)
- The fracture limit during a metal forming process can be better predicted based on the localized bifurcation theory and the instability theory for elastoplastic material (/FAIL/NXT)
- The XFEM failure method is improved and extended to more shell formulations
- The Finite Volume Method (FVM) is parallelized in multi-CPU (single machine) and the initial volume mesh can be automatically done in RADIOSS starter
- Newly imposed displacement (/IMPDISP/FGEO) or velocity (/IMPVEL/FGEO) features allow easily setting airbags from its folding position to its initial position in the vehicle
- Optimization parameters can be set in the RADIOSS for free shape, free size, topology and topography and composite optimization using Equivalent Static Load Method (ESLM) and OptiStruct capabilities
- Many improvements are done for the multi-domain method for the performances, scalability, and compatibility with different RADIOSS options. Time history outputs are now written in the single file
- For the sub-model method, multiple section files can be written at the same time from the same model
- More kinematic constraints (RBE2, RBE3) can be used with the Advanced Mass Scaling method (AMS)
- The dynamic user libraries (.dll or .so) can be compiled with free compilers and the cost of the dynamic user libraries can be taken into account to optimize the HMPP domain decomposition
- The global HMPP scalability is improved and the CPU cost of the model is decreased (around 20%)
MADYMO from TASS includes WorkSpace pre- and post-processing tools, the MADYMO Dummy Models database, and MADYMO Coupling Solver, which allows any of the MADYMO dummy or human models to be used in a co-simulation with an external FE solver like RADIOSS.
The HyperWorks CAE environment delivers state-of-the-art technologies for 3D animation and data processing of multi-body simulation results. HyperView and HyperGraph allow complete post processing and visualization environment for crash simulations, engineering data and digital video management including synchronization.
Other features include:
- Streamlined GUI enabling fast results visualization, comparison & interrogation
- Multi model support
- Amazingly fast post processor - sets a new standard for speed and integration of test data and CAE results in post processing (H3D & ABF format)
- Direct export to MS Office
- Report templates
- Tightly integrated environment
- Animation, video, and plotting in one window
- Interaction between animation and plotting
- Open architecture system
- Customizable and extendable via TCL/TK
- Integrated with Altair Process Manager
Study & Optimization
HyperStudy is an optimization and stochastic software that allows exploring and optimizing the performance and robustness of designs. Because of its architecture, it can work with most solvers on the market today.
Some of the features include:
- Model evaluation and process management
- Design Exploration:
- Component optimization
- Material characterization
- Automatic design rating (versus EuroNcap or IIHS)
Crash Cad Calculate (CCC) from Impact Design is a software for design and optimization of thin walled cross sections for beams used to create crashworthy of any structure. In the CCC, the user can model and calculate different cross sections, edit their materials and compare results. CCC also provides the possibility to optimize the geometry of a cross section. Cross Section Creator enriches the functionalities and capabilities of CCC by providing the possibility of fast and easy extraction of cross sections from an imported mesh model.
Safety Models complete the HyperWorks Crash & Safety Performance Solution with a broad correlated set of occupant models, impactors and barrier models.
Close cooperation with Humanetics and Cellbond drive the developments to high quality safety tools.
Available RADIOSS Dummies:
- Frontal impact dummies
- Hybrid II (50th percentile) rigid dummy for aeronautics applications
- Express Hybrid III 50th, & 5th percentile dummies (Humanetics)
- Hybrid III 50th, 95th & 5th percentile dummies (Humanetics)
- Side impact dummies:
- ES2 & ES2-re (Humanetics)
- FTSS SID-IIs SBL C & D (Humanetics)
- US SID
- WorldSID 50% (Humanetics)
- WorldSID 5% (Humanetics)
- Rear impact dummy
- Child dummies
- Hybrid III 6 years
- Hybrid III 10 years (Humanetics)
- P series 3, 6 and 10 years, 18 months
- Q series 3 years (inlcuding side impact version ), new born, 1 year, 1.5, 6 & 10 years (Humanetics)
- CRABI 12 months (Humanetics)
- Pedestrian impactors
- Head (EEVC adults and Child, FMVSS 201)
- Pedestrian Head forms EEVC
- Lower leg EEVC impactor
- Upper leg EEVC impactor
- Standing HIII 50th rigid dummy
- Standing HIII child 6 years rigid dummy
- Autoliv-Chalmers standing dummy
- FlexPLI (Humanetics)
- Human dummy model
- Complete human model: Humos2
- Human head, leg and foot models
- Available RADIOSS Barriers :
- Frontal barriers
- ODB (ECE 94 frontal regulation) solid & shell models
- PDB V8XT proposed by EEVC WG 15 for crash impact compatibility - shell & solid models
- TRL full width (consumer information test NCAP) - shell & solid models
- Side barriers
- NHTSA FMVSS 214 - solid & shell models
- Progress ECE 95– solid & shell models (Cellbond)
- AEMDB V3.9 = new proposal to update regulation EEVC W13 - solid & shell models (Cellbond)
- IIHS SUV Barrier - solid & shell models (Cellbond)
- Rear barriers
- RCAR IIHS low impact
- US Rear impact barrier FMVSS 310
- Rear impact ECE barrier
HUByx by CEDREM is a finite element model of the human body simulating all the bones and organs as well as the internal fluid in between them, enabling the propagation of pressure wave inside the body.
Leading structural analysis solver for highly non-linear problems under dynamic loadings like Crash, Impact, Blast and Stamping simulation.
Overview Video | Learn More
Robust pre-processing environment specifically designed to automate the creation of high-fidelity models for crash analysis and safety evaluation.
Overview Video | Learn More
Crash Cad Calculate
Crash Cad Calculate by Impact Design optimizes the design of thin walled cross sections for beams used to create any crashworthy structure.
Overview Video | Learn More
MADYMO is the worldwide standard for occupant safety analyses and design optimization.
Overview Video | Learn More